Transportation Van Safety
Risk – A community activity meant to provide enjoyment for a van full of residents or necessary transportation to a medical appointment for a few residents can be impacted by an unexpected accident or safety event. A transportation safety program includes: vehicle safety and appropriate maintenance; driver safety and appropriate training; resident safety; communication before, during and after transport; and emergency preparedness including accident response.
Risk Management Strategies:
- Vehicle and Driver Safety Policy – Develop a comprehensive vehicle and driver safety policy that includes but is not limited to:
- Vehicle management – selection, inspection and maintenance; safety checklist
- Driver screening – driver skills validation and training and driver monitoring
- Use of personal vehicles – insurance and liability implications
- Passenger training – seat belts; remaining seated while in motion
- Wheelchair safety
- Vehicular accident reporting and investigation
- Emergencies During Transport – Develop a protocol for responding to emergencies during a transport (weather, vehicle, medical and behavioral). Evaluate the number of staff members needed for transportation based on resident care needs and condition.
- Securing Wheelchairs During Transport – Develop a formal training program and checklist for securing wheelchairs
- Third-Party Transportation Contracts – Develop third-party transportation contracts that include specific requirements for vehicle, resident, and driver safety; legal review by your attorney is recommended. Ensure the third- party contractor maintains adequate insurance coverage for the services provided.
- Vehicular Accidents – Develop a formal process for reporting the details of vehicular accidents including, but not limited to: pertinent details about the other vehicles and drivers, police notification (as appropriate), any injuries, action taken for injured parties, a description of the accident, and vehicle damage.
- Driver Screening – Establish a formal process for driver screening and selection including, but not limited to:
- Previous Experience and Employment History
- Past Driving Record – Motor Vehicle Checks
- Drug and Alcohol Testing