Risk – An unsafe environment creates a safety risk for residents, visitors, employees and the facility.
Risk Management Strategies:
- Hazardous Materials – Ensure that building locations that can be hazardous or that contain hazardous materials are secured (e.g., boiler room, hazardous waste storage area, maintenance shop, environmental services carts and cleaning supply locations, medication storage areas/carts, laundry areas, shower rooms).
- Building Security – Establish a formal process and assigned responsibility for securing the building after hours. Violence can happen anywhere, be proactive in managing this risk.
- Building Security – Know who is in your building. Ask visitors to sign-in and sign out.
- Environmental Rounds – Complete a safety check of all areas of the building (interior and exterior) on a scheduled basis (e.g., hand rails secure and in good repair, flooring in good repair, lighting). Create an environmental rounds checklist to ensure a complete evaluation of the scheduled area. Ensure that noted safety issues and repairs are corrected at the time or have documented assigned responsibility for repair.
- Hallways – Keep hallways clean and clear of obstructions. Establish designated parking spots for scooters and motorized wheelchairs.
- Door Codes – Ensure that keycodes on doors are changed at regular interval (e.g., employee termination). Check and record proper alarm functioning on exit doors. Ensure that alarms are connected to an emergency power supply.
- Resident Storage – Be proactive in providing direction on “Rules of Storage” for garage storage and designated storage areas (e.g., what is allowed on the floor, if anything; weapon storage is not allowed; flammable liquids and gasoline are not allowed to be stored in the garages; expectation for managing clutter)
- Ice and Snow Removal – Establish a formal process for ice and snow removal. Document snow removal dates, times and weather conditions.
- Window Restrictors – Ensure that window restrictors (e.g., limit window opening to 6”) are in proper repair. Perform an inspection audit quarterly or with noted issues with window functioning.